A Monthly Career e-Newsletter of Resonance
Vol. -II Issue - 15
November - 2010
ITians are not only intelligent but also very innovative. Hence, it does not come as a surprise that four mechanical engineering students from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT-M) have developed a robotic fish that can be used for underwater surveillance, especially for identifying obstructions and pollution in water.
Speaking to Deccan Chronicle, one of the students who created a robotic fish, said, “I and my friends felt that RoboFish would revolutionize the world of underwater reconnaissance and ocean exploration.” However, they found difficulty in creating the fish’s complicated tail motion which was then accomplished by using a servo motor.
Explaining how it was created, Ashish Ranjan, a third year mechanical engineering student, said, “The tail is made of blocks connected by links, designed in such a way that controlling just one of them results in a natural motion. An acrylic casing that houses a water proof compartment inside forms the body.”
The objective of designing the RoboFish is to detect barriers, avoid them and choose the less hindered path. It will function like a real fish.
Got your JEE and AIEEE results, now it is time to make up your mind about which engineering field you want to pursue and why. Will it serve your inclination? Will it have good career prospects? Learnhub brings you a two-series article on 20 odd disciplines of engineering and its detailed profile about what will be its career scope, leading recruiters, your role and growth prospects for each discipline in India.
10 fields of engineering to make you take an easy decision which suits your interest and matches your aspirations
1) Aeronautical / Aerospace
Engineering: Get geared to an adventurous career
where you will deal with the development of new technology in aviation, space
exploration & defense system. You will find work with the aerospace industry,
R&D with various government agencies.
2) Automobile Engineering: The rapid and ongoing technological advancement has ushered in a new era of hi-tech vehicles. It will be your duty to design, test, and develop vehicles and components from concept to production stage. You can also work at managerial and executive levels in automobile manufacturing industry. Or find a job in R&D, design, maintenance, sales.
Top recruiters: Maruti, Tata, Appollo Tyres, Hero Honda, Bajaj, Ashok Leyland.
3) Biotechnology: You can also pursue Bioinformatics, biomedical engineering, genetics. Besides research, you will also be involved in designing and development of prosthetic devices which replaces or enhances the function of missing body parts or organs. You can find employment in pharmaceutical firms, chemical, agricultural, bio-processing industries, research.
Top recruiters: Hindustan Lever Ltd, Thapar Group, Biocon, Tata, Biocon India Ltd.
4) Chemical Engineering:
When you convert raw material (chemicals) to useful forms such as soap from
sodium hydroxide with the application of physical, life science. You will work
in chemical, pharmaceutical, mineral based, petromechanical, fertilizers,
insecticides, herbicides, food processing and paints industries.
5) Agricultural Engineering: When you apply engineering science & technology to agricultural production and procession. You will be performing tasks like planning, supervising and managing irrigation, drainage, water control system, perform environmental impact assessment and agricultural product processing. Find employment in food processing, packaging, food machinery, pharmaceutical industry, and health care firms.
Top recruiters: ITC, Amul Dairy, Nestle India, Escorts
6) Computer Science & IT: It deals with the use of computers and computer software to convert, store, protect, process, transmit and retrieve information. The basic difference between Computer Science & IT is that while former deals with designing and development of new software, hardware and parts of computer, IT aims at designing and managing computer-based information system, including software and hardware. Find employment in IT, ITES, database management, Telecommunication, computer hardware and software implementation, web designing, etc.
Top recruiters: TCS, Wipro, Microsoft, Google, IBM, Cisco, Accenture, etc
7) Electrical Engineering: Get ready to research, develop and operate electrical machinery and components. You will also design applications for generating electrical power for other branches of engineering. You can also find employment in manufacturing, process, robotics, automobile, aviation industries.
Top recruiters: BHEL, NHPC, Power Grid, Jindal Steel & Power, L&T.
8) Mechanical Engineering: This field involves designing, installing, manufacturing and operation of engines, machines, robotics, and cooling systems. You can find employment in automotive, aerospace, chemical, computer, power generation industries.
Top recruiters: DRDO, GAIL, NTPC, BHEL, Indian Oil and Tata Motors.
9) Civil Engineering:
This is the oldest and one of the most important fields of engineering. Civil
engineers play a vital role in creating man-made environment and protecting the
natural environment. You will be constructing and maintaining infrastructure
like roads, bridges, tunnels, dams, canals, power plants.
10) Mining Engineering: This engineering field involves extraction of non-metallic and metallic ores and energy sources like oil, coal, petroleum. You will also find employment in construction industry and waste disposal industry.
Top recruiters: HPCL, GAIL, ArcelorMittal, Jindal Steel, IOC, MMDC.
|Copyright © Resonance Eduventures Pvt. Ltd.|
|To submit your feedback mail at firstname.lastname@example.org|